RSSThe TSW Blog

The making of "WebCoder.NET" – part 12

April 25, 2007

One thing that I always felt could use some improvement in WebCoder, is the project to FTP synchronization feature. With the latest version it became pretty good, but I was never fully satisfied. When I started to work with ASP.NET besides PHP, I really missed an application for doing complete site synchronization, beyond what I ever imagined implementing in WebCoder. I started working on "TSW SiteSync" a couple of months after I began creating WebCoder 2007, and it quickly reached a point where I saw some real potential in it. The idea of an external application, which could be used with or without WebCoder, seemed like a really good idea, so that's what I did. TSW SiteSync will be an individual product, with the possibility of synchronizing WebCoder projects very easily. It will be a cheap product, with a price somewhere near the current price of WebPad.NET, with a substantial discount for people purchasing both WebCoder 2007 and SiteSync.

So, what do you think? Have you ever needed a good application for synchronizing your websites? Did you ever think that the built-in sync options in WebCoder needed a bit more features? Feedback is more than welcome, as are questions. If you're interested, I'll be happy to post some more information about SiteSync, along with the first screenshots of it :)

Kasper (TSW) @ 11:25 am in TSW

10 Responses to “The making of "WebCoder.NET" – part 12”

1. Morten says:

A screenshot would be great ;)

2. Kevin says:

Yes! This sounds great. I have used another program in the past for this but I can’t remember what it was called.

3. Kasper (TSW) says:

Morten: Okay, I will probably make a post about it soon then :). Thank you for your comment!

Kevin: What’s your requirements for an application like this? Anything specific? :)

4. Tobias says:

Funny your bringin’ this up today, yeasterday I was thinking about just a app like that, and one thing that crossed my mind is that the sync must be certen to overwrite the right file. This could be solved in many ways, you could keep track of build versions and so on, but that would maybe be to advanced for a novice user. So one to make it more simple, you can just check the date and time on the files, but there can be one problem with this, what about if the server is in another timezone or not just synced with your own?
    A function for setting the diff between you and the server would be nice =)

Will this app be out for betatesting aswell? =)

Regards

5. Kasper (TSW) says:

Hi Tobias,

TSW SiteSync will compare by using the modified date and time from each file, and besides, the application is very robust in it’s design – you will be very unlikely to upload the wrong files, unless you’re quite careless :).

There’s already a feature which will allow you to measure for a time difference between your computer and the remote server – it was one of the first thing I created, since I’ve seen other applications fail on that aspect. Hopefully it will work very well :)

And yes, there will be a beta version, don’t worry :)

6. Christopher says:

Since having a “Part 13″ would be unlucky, you’re just going to have to come out with the Beta Test page.

7. Ronni Persson says:

I believe that this was one of those features that I have requested before, so I am pleased to hear that a new feature-rich sync-product will be available from Tangaard :)

8. Christopher says:

I just remembered something I have been wanting for a long time in Webcoder: the ability to save a list of the open files, or to pop up a list of them that I can copy. I keep needing to send lists of affected files to people at work, when I can’t commit them using source control. Also it would be nice to save the open files as a session like you can do with open pages in Opera.

9. […] told you a bit about TSW SiteSync in this post and I promised you some screenshots. However, a test version is far more interesting than […]

10. Shafh says:

What about making the produkt be included in WebCoder.NET and maybe also WebPad.NET, to make i more a complete solusion? I don’t belive i would be interessting buying it, but i absolut agree that it sounds like a good idear.