RSSThe TSW Blog

The making of "WebCoder.NET" – part 9

April 11, 2007

Ever since the first version of WebCoder, a modified document has been indicated by a red cross. WebCoder has been using a tab or tab-looking interface ever since the beginning. Tabs were really made popular when the browsers began offering tabbed browsing, but they introduced another standard as well: The cross on each tab, used for closing the tab it self. Some people may have been confused that the cross in WebCoder and WebPad.NET showed the modification status instead of acting as a close button - I got at least one complaint about it with WebPad.NET. Therefore, I'm trying something different with "WebCoder.NET" - using the font color of the tab instead. It looks like this:

I have been working with it like this for months now, and I actually prefer it now. Hopefully you will like it as well, and hopefully less people will be confused about it :)

Okay, so this post was not as exciting as some of the other posts, but don't go away just yet - the next post will contain the first published screenshot of "WebCoder.NET" ever, along with another interesting piece of information. Stay tuned! :)

Kasper (TSW) @ 10:34 am in WebCoder

9 Responses to “The making of "WebCoder.NET" – part 9”

1. Kevin says:

OOh OOh!! I’m so damn excited!

2. Kasper (TSW) says:

I’m happy to hear that, Kevin :). I guess I will make the next update within a couple of days – stay tuned :)

3. Ike says:

How about a close icon on the tabs themselves so you can close a page from the tab.
    (As opposed to mousing down to the Close document icon)

4. Kasper (TSW) says:

Sorry Ike, but I can’t do that at the moment. I hope this feature will be added to the control I’m using for the document tabs in the future though. In the meantime, there’s lots of other options, like rightclicking a tab and selecting, using the keyboard shortcut and several others :)

5. Tobias says:

Im starting to like this blog even more now lately that you update it so often =) before you had to wait so long for sweet previews, now its raining with fresh news =D Cant wait for the new webcoder, I’ll buy the beta if you want ;-)

Regards

6. Kasper (TSW) says:

Hi Tobias,

Haha I do love your enthusiasm! I had to make the posts last a bit long, and in the meantime I was busy coding :). I have a bit more time now, and WebCoder is really close to being beta-ready, so I have to get the posts out now hehe :)

You don’t need to pay for the beta version obviously, but hang in there, I promise it won’t be long before you can get your hands on it :)

7. Anders says:

Oh, beta coming soon. – I just can’t wait :D

Well, any idea about what soon is?

8. Mulle says:

Well I cant wait for the beta, its gonna to be testing your new WebCoder.
    But I hope sooner or later that WebCoder, will start support ASP.NET in IntelliSense & Inspector.

But i will stay tuned. :P

9. Morten says:

BTW, Kasper…you have a problem with this blog in IE 6. The middle part of the page (the one with the comments and the topic) doesn’t have a white background, but the gray background…