RSSThe TSW Blog

The making of "WebCoder.NET" – part 7

March 30, 2007

As I talked about earlier on this blog, the XML/Scripted dialog system will be included in "WebCoder.NET" as well. Therefore, the dialogs will look almost the same as in WebCoder 2005, since they are based on the same (although more tidy) XML files :). I have added a small but pretty cool feature though. By using the "htmlAttribute" property of the controls in the XML file, you may make WebCoder aware of which HTML attribute the control is used for. Since WebCoder already knows which tag the dialog is registered for, it can now check the attribute by using the same datafiles used for the HTML Inspector and HTML IntelliSense, and tell you if there are anything you should be aware of when using the given attribute. Of course, this is based on the (X)HTML definition you are currently using for the active document. The dialogs will not be nagging you about these things, but using information icons, it will tell you about it in a subtle way. Have a look at this screenshot where you can see how the controls are marked with icons:

The green icon tells you that the attributes is required, the blue one will normally mean that the attribute has been deprecated. There is of course tooltips for the icons when hovering over them with the mouse. Now, let's try switching the document to XHTML and see the same dialog:

The blue icons have become red, because these attributes are simply not defined within the XHTML standard. If you make your own tag dialogs, they will be able to use this system as well, since it's entirely based on the information from the dialog XML file as well as information about tag and attributes from the active HTML definition, which you may edit as well.

Kasper (TSW) @ 9:29 am in WebCoder

11 Responses to “The making of "WebCoder.NET" – part 7”

1. Morten says:

Looking great :D Can’t wait for the first beta version ;)

2. Kevin says:

Looks very cool! Can’t wait :)

3. Kasper (TSW) says:

Thank you guys. Soon I will post the first screenshots, and after that, I have planned some demo videos. You may start looking forward to them, especially the ones showing all the cool new PHP IntelliSense stuff :)

4. Morten says:

sounds great :D

I would like to know if you can make a Javascript IntelliSense? That could be really cool…and for the people who uses ASP (I don’t), it may be a great idea to make a ASP IntelliSense aswell ;)

5. Kasper (TSW) says:

Hi Morten,

As I have stated elsewhere, Classic ASP is an old technology, replaced by ASP.NET years ago. While some people still use ASP, I have made the choice to either try to support ASP.NET (although it’s much more complex) or no ASP support at all :)

About the JavaScript, I’m looking into it, although it’s not that easy :)

6. Morten says:

Hi Kasper.

When I wrote ASP, I meant ASP.NET. So my question is now will their be ASP.NET IntelliSense???

And about the javascript, then it sounds great if you can make it :D

7. Kasper (TSW) says:

Hi Morten,

Probably not in this version for the ASP.NET part – as I said, it’s very complicated, as you probably know if you have any ASP.NET experience :)

8. Christopher says:

Hello Kasper,
    I just want to remind you of a request I made a while back, and that is to support SVN in the file browser. Say I have Tortoise installed. It would be nice if I could use it through the file browser in WebCoder instead of having to have a separate window of the windows file browser.

9. Kasper (TSW) says:

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for the reminder. Unfortunately, I have almost no experience with SVN. What exactly would you like for WebCoder to do for SVN support? :)

10. Christopher says:

Actually I don’t want WebCoder to do anything with SVN directly (like Eclipse, which has its own SVN client built into it). I just want to be able to use the right-click context menu that you would see for files and folders in Windows, from within the WebCoder files panel. The context menu is where you’ll find choices for Tortoise SVN if you have it installed. In the file panel for the current version of WebCoder, you get only internal choices when you right-click. Is there a way to make outside choices available inside the program? I work in with other developers and we each check files into and out of our projects using version control. I never use the file browser or project management features in WebCoder. To get files into Webcoder I simply drag them in from an explorer window. From that window I can deal with SVN, so it makes no sense to navigate through the file tree in the WebCoder file panel and then have to go out to do the same in another window to check in my work. It get’s annoying sometimes to have to do things this way and I wish I could just stay inside Webcoder.

11. Kasper (TSW) says:

Hi Christopher,

I have looked into getting the context menu shown, preferably together with the WebCoder related menu items, for the files and folders of the file explorer, but it’s not exactly easy. It will require some pretty major changes in the application, which I’m a bit reluctant to make, since I haven’t really gotten requests from other people for this. If it gets more requests during the beta period, I will look into it again, but for now, I would like to leave it the way it is – sorry.